The advertisers’ website posed the following question:
WHICH CONDITIONS CAN NATUROPATHY HELP?
• Digestive – flatulence, burping, bloating, IBS, constipation
• Skin – eczema, rosacea acne and psoriasis
• Immunity – frequent colds, coughs and allergies
• Stress management – nervous system disorders such as insomnia, low mood, anxiety, nervous tension
• Energy – erratic energy or fatigue
• Hormone imbalance – insulin resistance, adrenal stress, thyroid imbalance
• Reproductive – PMS, PCOS, endometriosis, fertility, menopause, lowered libido
• Neurological – Dementia, Alzheimer’s disease
• Allergies – Hayfever, sinusitis, rhinitis
• Chronic conditions Arthritis, high blood pressure, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, autoimmune disease…
• Weight Management
The complainant queried whether Naturopathy could help with all the diseases listed in the advertising and whether there was substantiation available for the claims made. He considered, for example, that there was no treatment for chronic fatigue syndrome and also considered that Naturopathy had no scientific basis.
The advertisers failed to respond to the complaint.
The Complaints Committee considered the detail of the complaint and expressed their concerns at the advertisers’ failure to respond to the complaint. They reminded them that there is an onus on advertisers to ensure that their advertising is in conformity with the Code.
The Committee noted that the advertising included references to conditions for which medical supervision should be sought and that evidence to demonstrate that the advice, diagnosis or treatment would be conducted under the supervision of a suitably qualified health professional had not been provided.
In the absence of a response from the advertisers, and of substantiation for the claims in the advertising that Naturopathy could help with the illnesses indicated, the Complaints Committee considered the advertising was in breach of Sections 2.4(c), 11.1 and 11.5 of the Code.
ACTION REQUIRED: The advertising should not be used in the same format again.